Thanks to modern technology, car stereos aren't limited to selected channels anymore. You can play music from directly your phone and stream video files too! To enjoy the best view on your dashboard, you need a large display with an intuitive interface. But larger screens take up a lot of space on the dash, right? Not anymore!
A floating car stereo offers a large screen without taking up much room on your dash. It features a detachable touchscreen display that appears to "float" above the dashboard or center console. A floating display car stereo will deliver a more immersive and customizable multimedia experience.
To help you pick the perfect stereo for your car, here, we've compiled the 7 Best Floating Screen Car Stereos. Let's dive in and check out the details.
Jump To Contents
- Table for the Best Floating Display Car Stereos with Quick Summary
- 7 Best Floating Car Stereos/Head Units - Comprehensive Reviews
- 1. Best 7-Inch: BOSS BVCP9700A-FL Car Audio Stereo System
- 2. Best 9-Inch: BOSS BCPA9RC Single DIN Floating Screen Head Unit
- 3. Best 10-Inch: ATOTO S8 Pro S8G2104PR-N Double-DIN Stereo
- 4. Best 10.1 Inch: JVC KW-Z1000W Floating Touchscreen Stereo
- 5. Best Value: Woibugee Double Din Floating Screen Car Stereo
- 6. Best Premium: Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX Floating Stereo
- 7. Best Resistive Touchscreen: Sony XAV-AX8100 Stereo Receiver
- Factors To Consider While Buying A Floating Screen Stereo
- Significant FAQs
- Final Verdict
Table for the Best Floating Display Car Stereos with Quick Summary
1. BOSS BVCP9700A-FL
From its sleek design to its top-notch features, this stereo system offers an exceptional audio experience for car enthusiasts and casual drivers alike. The built-in amp and EQ are excellent for audio customization.
2. BOSS BCPA9RC
A great combination of audio quality, smartphone connectivity, and user-friendly design, it is for those who want both a large screen and more space on the dash.
3. ATOTO S8 Pro
The integration of an Android processor and Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connection makes it a mini android device that delivers high-quality audio output.
4. JVC KW-Z1000W
With high-resolution audio and video, 13-band graphic EQ, and customizable display, this unit is a top-of-the-line choice for an exceptional in-car multimedia experience.
5. Woibugee Double DIN
In addition to its sleek design and strong build, this head unit packs numerous handy features like hands-free calling, built-in GPS, wireless media playing, and external mic.
6. Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX
Thanks to its 13-band EQ, built-in amp, and 3-channel preamp outputs, this premium unit is perfect for customizing audio as per the user's taste.
7. Sony XAV-AX8100
Coming from a reputed brand, this stereo lives up to the expectation with great audio output, customizable music styles and display, and steering wheel control.
7 Best Floating Car Stereos/Head Units - Comprehensive Reviews
For this list, we only picked floating stereos from top-rated and reliable brands. These stereos come with high-quality audio components, such as built-in amplifiers, Equalizers, digital signal processing, etc., to provide the best quality sound. Let's take a look at the features of each stereo and choose the right one for you.
1. Best 7-Inch: BOSS BVCP9700A-FL Car Audio Stereo System
Want a reliable and feature-packed floating stereo to enhance your in-car audio experience without breaking the bank? The BOSS BVCP9700A-FL will be an ideal choice. With its sleek design, exceptional sound quality, and user-friendly interface, this stereo is an all-around pick for audiophiles.
When it comes to delivering the best floating screen car stereo at an affordable price, Boss is undoubtedly the most reliable brand in the industry. The BVCP9700A-FL is one of the best-reviewed stereos from the brand. It features a modern design with a 7-inch full-color touchscreen display for smooth operation and better view.
Thanks to its intuitive interface, you can easily navigate between various features and settings even if you're a first-time user. The build quality is solid and durable, so you can expect the system to stand the test of time.
With its 320W built-in amplifier, this stereo delivers crisp and clear sound across a wide range of frequencies. Therefore, it's a perfect choice for all music genres. As the stereo comes with an equalizer, you can easily customize the EQ curves and fine-tune your audio experience to Rock, Pop, or any other curve you want.
The BVCP9700A-FL boasts an impressive array of connectivity options. It supports Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming, so you can connect your smartphone or other devices. Plus, it comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility allowing you to access your favorite apps, Google maps, and messages through the touchscreen display.
Finally, the USB and AUX inputs make it easy to play media from other sources as well. Altogether, this stereo is a solid choice for its looks, connectivity options, and audio quality.
What Makes It On Top of Our List?
- A large 7-inch touchscreen display that's easy to rotate and title for a better view from multiple angles
- Built-in amp and EQ offers a wide range of frequency and tuning options
- Compatible with Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto offering hands-free multimedia control
- USB port and 3.5mm Aux input to play audio from different sources
- Display has multicolor illumination feature that matches the interior of the vehicle
What Cons We Find?
- No DVD or CD player
- Installation can be a bit difficult
2. Best 9-Inch: BOSS BCPA9RC Single DIN Floating Screen Head Unit
From a detachable screen to a wireless connection, this advanced stereo has all the modern features to make your rides entertaining. The BOSS BCPA9RC offers hands-free calling, smooth navigation, a built-in amp, and much more.
Thanks to its quick-release buttons, you can easily remove the entire screen from your dashboard. This way, you have more room and less distraction while driving. What's more, the screen is fully adjustable and you can slide it up and down, or tilt it left and right to get the perfect view.
Just like any other Boss stereo, the BCPA9RC delivers outstanding audio with crisp and clear sound output. It features a built-in 10-band equalizer that offers customizable audio settings to fine-tune your listening experience. As the stereo supports various audio formats including high-quality FLAC files, your music collection will always be available, regardless of the file type.
To enhance your driving experience, the 9-inch capacitive touchscreen offers bright and clear video playback. Therefore, this unit is perfect for watching movies or music videos during breaks.
However, in direct sunlight, the screen can be a bit challenging to see. The stereo comes with a dimmer so that you can adjust the brightness as per your needs.
What We Liked
- Delivers crisp and clear audio output with built-in amp, EQ, and external microphone
- The adjustable touchscreen can be detached to free up space on the dash
- Supports high-quality audio and video files including WAV and FLAC formats
- Wireless streaming and hands-free calling via Bluetooth
- Allows to give commands with Siri or Google Assistant for playing media and displaying maps
What We Didn’t Like
- Doesn't have any built-in navigation option
- The screen might become dark in bright sunlight
3. Best 10-Inch: ATOTO S8 Pro S8G2104PR-N Double-DIN Stereo
To capture the features of your Android device on a stereo, the brand ATOTO offers the most advanced stereo you'll ever put your hands on. The ATOTO S8 Pro S8G2104PR-N has an HD QLED display, split screen support, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, built-in noise cancellation, and numerous other features to deliver an outstanding experience.
Without a doubt, the most notable feature of this head unit is its 10.1-inch QLED touchscreen display. It allows you to stream 720p HD videos, navigate smoothly, and improved color effects with the LED-backlit LCD tech. With its split screen feature, it allows you to multitask. Meaning, you can watch a high-quality video on one side of the screen and open maps on the other side.
As the unit features a high-performance Android Q processor, it functions more like an Android mobile.
On this stereo, you can stream audio, and YouTube videos, access the Google Play Store to install over 1000 applications, make calls, use Google Assistant, and the list goes on.
What we like about the ATOTO S8 Pro is that you can connect the internet and your mobile to it in multiple ways. It supports Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity both wired and wirelessly. Besides, it features a sim card slot and a built-in 4G modem for a smooth internet connection.
The audio quality is also great with an external mic. As you speed up, the stereo can automatically adjust the volume allowing you to focus on the road. It also features a unique built-in noise cancellation tech to reduce background noise, distortion, and echo while playing music and making calls.
Why Are We Impressed?
- High-performance android process that mirrors the functionality of an Android device
- Offers access to the internet via mobile hotspot, Wi-Fi, and USB and Bluetooth Tethering
- Features some impressive noise cancellation and audio-enhancing technology to deliver crisp and clear sound
- Built-in maps for real-time navigation
- Compatible with high-resolution audio and HD video files
What Are The Flaws?
- The amp output is lower than most aftermarket stereos in the same price range
- It's difficult to update the processor and installed apps
4. Best 10.1 Inch: JVC KW-Z1000W Floating Touchscreen Stereo
For superior and more immersive audio output, you'll need high-resolution music files. While most aftermarket stereos support compressed files only, the JVC KW-Z1000W stereo is compatible with high-quality audio formats including LDAC and FLAC.
Thanks to the K2 technology, the stereo effectively improves the audio quality for all types of media sources. The built-in 13-band graphic EQ allows you to select from different curves catering to your personal preferences.
It also features a 6-channel preamp output to connect external amplifiers and subwoofers. The preamp output ensures that your additional equipment is properly powered and efficiently integrated into the system. Hence, you can enjoy a richer and more immersive listening experience.
As the adjustable floating display supports live wallpaper and a customizable background, you can tailor the stereo interface to match your car's interior. Other key features of this stereo include internet access via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and USB, height and depth adjustment of the display, intuitive interface, and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto support.
What Are The Good Sides?
- Supports HD videos and high-resolution FLAC, WMA, and LDAC audio files
- 6-channel preamp delivers high power and seamlessly connects to additional amps and subs
- Live wallpaper and customizable background offer a more personalized experience
- 13-band graphic EQ to customize the audio output as per your taste
- Wireless connection easily integrates smartphones and streams audio and video
What Are The Weakness?
- Your voice might echo while making hands-free calls
- Takes a long time to charge phone with the USB port
5. Best Value: Woibugee Double Din Floating Screen Car Stereo
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 12 x 8 x 7 inches
- Display: 10 inch touchscreen
- Screen Resolution: 1280 x 720
- Compatibility: WMA, and MP3
- Inputs: USB port and Aux
- AMP Channels: 5
- Power: 180W Peak Power @40
Looking for a feature-packed stereo at the most reasonable price? This double DIN stereo by Woibugee is the best floating display head unit when it comes to combining price with exceptional performance.
As the stereo features a 28 nm chip processor with an 8-core CPU, the touchscreen and stereo features work smoothly. A high-quality 10 inch QLED display offers a 178° full-view angle so that you can easily adjust the screen as per your needs.
To make navigation easy and accurate, the stereo features a built-in GPS receiver module with an external GPS antenna. You can install online Google maps such as Waze, HereWeGo, and TomTom using the Google Play Store. Or, connect your phone to the stereo wirelessly and share your phone maps.
When connected wirelessly, you can access Siri or Google Assistant and give voice commands to make and receive calls. Therefore, you can drive safely and take emergency calls without taking your eyes off the road. The stereo comes with an external mic for hands-free music playing and distortion-free output.
Factors We Liked
- High-performance CPU works like a fast and reliable Android tablet
- An Excellent QLED display with a smooth touch function and 178° adjustability
- Built-in EQ allows customization of the audio frequency and music styles such as Classic or Rock
- Built-in external mic to accept accurate voice commands and make distortion-free calls
- Supports multiple video streaming platforms including YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu.
Factors We Didn't Like
- The sound quality isn't the best at high volume
- Some stereo functions can be difficult to understand for new users
6. Best Premium: Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX Floating Stereo
If you like to customize your stereo sound for a richer and more immersive experience, the Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX will be an ideal choice. With its high preamp output and built-in equalizer, you can achieve the perfect music style and sound effects that you love.
To maximize the sound signal, this stereo features a powerful MOSFET amplifier and 13-band equalizer. It also has 3 sets of preamp outputs allowing you to add aftermarket amps and subs for more powerful and crisp audio.
What makes this head unit unique is its dynamic stage organizer. It adjusts the audio signal and improves the positioning of the stereo so that the music signals coming from different directions sound as if they are coming from the dash, even when you place the speakers in a different place.
Thanks to the smartphone integration feature, you can use Apple CarPlay to operate using Siri, and Android Auto to access Google Assistant. Moreover, with a stable Wi-Fi connection, you can activate Amazon Alexa to make calls through the stereo receiver, play music, and control your home devices.
What Makes It Stand Out?
- High output built-in amplifier enhances the audio signals to deliver loud and clear sound
- 9-inch adjustable display plays high-quality HD videos
- 13-band EQ supports various music styles including Rock, Pop, Jazz, and Classic
- Compatible with high-resolution music files such as FLAC and DSD
- Smartphone integration feature allows voice commanding using Apple CarPlay, Amazon Alexa, and Android Auto
What Could Be Better?
- Only one USB port for flash drives and charging
- Steering wheel control with Maestro integration might not always work accurately
7. Best Resistive Touchscreen: Sony XAV-AX8100 Stereo Receiver
When it comes to delivering high-quality stereos at reasonable prices, Sony is one brand you can rely on. The Sony XAV-AX8100 has a resistive touchscreen display and multiple media integration options to provide an awesome view and convenient media playing.
With the unique Quick Wake Up feature, the stereo will quickly turn on as you turn on the ignition. This feature is particularly helpful when you're in a hurry and want to turn on the stereo on the go. Besides, the anti-glare touchscreen allows you to quickly get directions, choose music, or customize audio with its at-a-glance feature.
For clear and detailed audio output, this unit boasts a built-in 4 x 55 W amplifier. It allows you to enjoy the Bass and beats at high and low volumes. While you're driving, you can connect your phone to the stereo for playing music, change the audio files, and receive calls using voice commands.
Apart from having touchscreen control, this unit also features manual buttons for common stereo functions such as changing tracks and adjusting volume. Therefore, you can make easy adjustments without taking your eyes off the road.
Some handy audio and video features of this stereo include playing both compressed high-resolution (FLAC, WAV) and compressed audio (MP3) files, low-and high-pass audio filters, and 10-band graphic EQ. To improve the stereo image and sound, the stereo has the Dynamic Stage Organizer feature too.
As for the expandability options, you can add your smartphone and other devices to the stereo using wireless Bluetooth, a rear USB port, and HDMI input. You can also add 5-volt front, mono, and rear subs to enhance your audio experience even further.
What Makes It Stand Out?
- Adjustable and intuitive touchscreen display features multicolor illumination and a dimmer to change the display color and brightness
- Plays lossless FLAC files for a richer and more fulfilling audio experience
- Built-in Bluetooth plays music through the stereo speakers
- Supports screen mirroring via WebLink Cast with iOS and Android devices
- Wired remote and steering wheel controls for quicker and safer navigation
- The quick wake-up feature quickly turns on the stereo after starting the vehicle
What Could Be Better?
- HDMI works slowly
- You'll need a weblink app for YouTube streaming
Factors To Consider While Buying A Floating Screen Stereo
Before you purchase a head unit, you must know what features to look for. Otherwise, you might end u0 buying a stereo that doesn't even fit on your dash.
So, here are the things you need to consider while picking the best floating car stereo:
First things first, you must ensure that the car stereo is compatible with your vehicle's make, model, and year. Some systems require additional adapters or modifications for proper installation.
Check out your owner's manual to see whether you need a single or double DIN stereo. The dimensions of the console and the screen both must comply with your vehicle. Choose a screen size that offers a good balance between visibility and fitting comfortably within your vehicle's dashboard area.
Features and Connectivity
For convenient usage, go for a stereo with the common necessary features such as GPS navigation, smartphone integration, Bluetooth connectivity, and support for various audio and video formats.
Look for a system with high-quality audio components, such as built-in amplifiers, digital signal processing, and support for lossless audio formats. A built-in equalizer is also important if you prefer to change between music styles and genres.
The stereo you choose must have an intuitive and easy-to-use interface. It should have customizable options for the display, audio, amplifier, and EQ to tailor the experience to your preferences.
Research various brands and their reputation for quality, reliability, and customer support. Read reviews and ask for recommendations from friends or online forums. In general, the top stereo brands are: Boss, Pioneer, Sony, and Kenwood.
Can I install a floating screen car stereo myself?
While it's possible to install a floating screen car stereo yourself, we recommend you have it professionally installed. This ensures proper wiring, integration with existing systems, and a secure fit to avoid damage while driving.
Can floating screen car stereos play CDs?
Most floating screen car stereos don't include a CD or DVD playback. Instead, these units focus on digital media and smartphone connectivity. However, some models do still offer this feature. Check the specifications of the car stereo for confirmation.
Which brand is best for car touch screens?
The top-rated stereo brands for smooth and fast touchscreen displays include Boss, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony. Lesser-known brands like Alpine and JVC also deliver a great touchscreen experience.
Now that you know all the details about our top picks, it's time to give our final verdict. Judging by its brand value, reliability, and advanced features, the BOSS BVCP9700A-FL Car Audio Stereo System is undoubtedly the best floating screen car stereo. It delivers high-quality audio with its built-in amp and EQ.
You can wirelessly connect your phone to the stereo to mirror your mobile apps and texts. If you're on a budget, the Woibugee Double DIN Floating Screen Car Stereo will provide the best value for your money. Go for the Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX Floating Display Receiver to play high-resolution audio and video without any lags.
Related Products You May Like: